Saturday, June 9, 2007

My Dream Car

When I was about 9 years old, I fell in love with a car. I first laid eyes on it in a country club parking lot. It was not a Porsche or a fancy convertible like most little kids dream about; it was a Volvo 240DL. If you are not Volvo connoisseur, like myself, you might not have any idea what a Volvo 240DL might have looked like in 1988 (when I was 9). Here it is:

You might be thinking, "Is she serious?" or "What a strange little girl she must have been!" or even "What kind of parents let a 9 year old wander around a parking lot alone?" But I assure you (ask any close friend, family member or ex-boyfriend), I have been a Volvo lover (not to be confused with Vulva like someone-who-shall-remain-nameless thought) for the past 19 years.

So...about 6 weeks ago my oldest sister was talking buying a car on eBay and I laughed and said, "Who does that?" I thought it seemed silly to buy something as important and pricey as a car on eBay, but I was curious. So I started to look on eBay for cars, not seriously, but just to see what was on there. Fast forward to last week...Lee and I bought a car on eBay. Don't fret, I talked to the man whose auction it was multiple times via telephone. We thought we had it all figured out. Did I mention the car was in Annapolis, Maryland? We thought that one of Lee's good friends from college who lives in Baltimore could test drive it and then drive it to Iowa. Then we could see him for awhile and fly him back. The Baltimorian friend was way too busy with schoolwork to take any time off.

So now we were stumped and I was stressed ( I got three zits over it). Car in Baltimore...us here...what should we do? So my dad volunteered to fly out test drive the car and drive it back if it was everything eBay said it was. It was. My dad flew out Thursday, after a few wind delays, and started the journey home that evening (after meeting with the seller, whose name is Cevon pronounced Kevin). He drove to Cleveland and slept a few hours in a hotel and then drove the rest of the way home on Friday. So...Thanks to my dad for driving 900 miles and Lee for indulging my strange love of Scandinavian automobiles, I have a shiny Volvo V50 of my own sitting in the garage waiting to be driven (that is a subject for another post...I am not supposed to drive it until it passes the county's inspection).

For the record, I love it. It is everything eBay said and more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hot vulva.

Anonymous said...

Your kids will look so stylish riding around in the wagon someday...I love it!

Kers said...

Glad it my example and eBay fulfilled your dreams :)

Kiki said...

Isn't this a mom-mobile? I love it!

Kiki said...

cute pic of you and lee!