Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Inspection

So...the funniest part of the story which I have purposely been leaving out is that the car has a salvage title. In Iowa, a salvage title is when a car has had more than $5,000.00 in damage in one instance. In Maryland, a car can earn a salvage title if it has been stolen.

So...the story behind my Volvo is that it was stolen and not recovered in 30 days, so the insurance company paid the owner its value. The car was recovered after the 30 days and so it couldn't be returned. The car was left on the said of the road run completely out of gas and with slight damage to the front right side (the bumper and one headlight had to be replaced). The insurance company took care of the damages and then the title was converted to salvage and it was sent to auction.

So...I had to take it to get inspected by the county to make sure it was safe and legal. Only a small town about 10 minutes north of here handles all salvage inspections. So, I got there and there was a slightly overweight middle-aged woman at a folding table in the back corner of the garage that holds the town's 3 police cars. I waited my turn and then she walked over to my car and asked me pop the hood...On a side note, I take pride in not being a dumb, helpless girl. So I jumped in the car and looked where the hood releaser is in every car and mine was nowhere to be seen. I got on the ground and looked under the steering wheel; and all the while this woman is looking at me with her clipboard judging me and mocking me internally (as I would be if I were in her shoes). So, I did what I had to do, and I called my dad. Problem solved.

So...I passed the "inspection." The inspection consisted of her walking around my car and writing down two locations where she found the VIN number. I was worried about nothing. Good thing she didn't find the drugs and other contraband I was sneaking across state lines...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your dad...he's the best helper! I can picture the lady judging you ;) Speaking of picturing, great picture of you and Lee!

Kiki said...

When you are as hot as you are, driving a Volvo, everyone judges!

Anonymous said...

I see you have time to post funny things but you don't have time to respond as to whether you are attending Uptown Friday Night. Hello! Remember your girls' club friends??? Please respond!

Sarah said...

Somehow I just found your blog in a weird roundabout way! I hope we can keep in better touch now! The five minutes we got at the Farmer's Market was just not enough. Congrats on being able to stay at Wash, the new car, and the house! Wow, I'd say you've been surely blessed!

Expect baby news from us any old time....and pray it comes soon! :)

Anonymous said...

So how do you open the hood on these cars?