Monday, January 28, 2008

Procrastination

My name is Karoline and I procrastinate.

As an educator who preaches the evils of procrastination, you would think I that I would heed my own advice. I do not. It was a bad habit when I was in high school. I thought I would have grown out of it by college, but there I was...starting term papers the night before they were due (or a week after) and slipping them under the office doors of professors. Logically I knew it was not smart, but I couldn't talk myself into getting things done before the deadline. So here I am. 28 years old and I still haven't gotten past this disease.

Last August I finished all of the courses required to earn my graduate degree, and I thought I was done. In mid-November, I received a packet with the information about our final comprehensive exam over the entire program. Somehow I didn't see the need to open it at that time. I had many excuses: 1) I was newly pregnant and not feeling very good. Who wants to do schoolwork like that? 2) I was getting ready to go to Arizona and visit the family; 3) I knew it wasn't due for a long time so why think about it already?

So...last Thursday (Yes, I know. January 24th) I got around to opening the information packet. I was busy watching come sort of crap TV and put it in my bag to read at school the next day. So, I started reading the packet on Friday and saw that it was due February1st. Phewy, I knew Lee was going to be out of town and I had a whole week to work on it. As I read more closely, I saw that it had to be postmarked by January 28th (yes, today). Uh-oh. That throws a kink in my plans.

I was a little frantic at this point. All of my hard work since the fall of 2004 had come to this point. So, my weekend plans were set. I want you all to be proud of me. I finished it last night. The final product turned out to be 12 pages. I proofread and edited today, and now I am all ready to send it in when I leave school.

Do they have a medication for procrastination? Possibly a 12 step program of some sort?

5 comments:

Brenda Rae said...

holy cow - I know that Jess VA (she was in your classes) has been working on the same packet for months! I am glad you got it done and right now I am procrastinating getting stuff ready for tomorrow!

mini and brother said...

Makes a sister proud!

Mrs. Spice (Holly) said...

You are so brave to be so honest and vulnerable. Since you confessed something, so will I. Hi, my name is Mrs. Spice and I have a large collection of gangster rap. I listen to it when I am driving alone in the car. I love Jesus...I really do. But sometimes I love a little gansta rap too.
There. I feel better already. Thank you for that.
Oh, and you are amazing....28, pregnant and a Master's degree. You are a champ! You are my hero! Oh, and sometimes I think you are my sister too. I know...it's all about confessions tonight.

Anonymous said...

Wow I'm so impressed by your hard work....you are a "model Student" haha I hope you pass! :-)

Kers said...

Wondered why I hadn't heard from you in so many days :) So this was your final exam not the research paper? Don't you have to do that to?