Sunday, December 14, 2008

Saint. Lucia's Day

So,yesterday was Saint Lucia's Day. Did you celebrate it?

We celebrated by hanging out with the American Girl Kirsten doll.






Okay, sow e may not be Swedish, but we did like the name. I was a Classical Studies major and I always wanted a Latin (as in Italian, not Latina) name. I took a couple semesters of Latin, and I always looked at the characters names during class to see if any were cool enough to name a child (other options were Scintilla, Porsinna, Caluprnia, Polita or Lucretia, etc). I also like that it means light.


Update: We are on day 4 of sleep training tough love style. Thursday night the girl went to bed around 8pm. She woke up screaming at 10:44pm and we let her cry it out until she wore herself out. The last heard from her was at 2:02am. It was a long 3 hours. Friday night she went to bed about 8:30pm. She woke up yelling at 10pm. I didn't think I could take another night of screaming, and thankfully I didn't have to. I didn't hear from her from 10:30 until 7:30. Saturday night we put her down around 8pm and I didn't hear her until 6:02am..Hurray! I think she gets it.

10 comments:

Kers said...

The Lucia's Day pics are all red x's for me :(

Kers said...

I just can't not comment on those leggers and the tummy in the horizontal stripes :) Hoping for another great night for the girl and you guys too

Maggie said...

I have that same doll and outfit and I always loved reading the St. Lucia day book every year. Once I even made myself a head wreath. When Lulu is old enough I can come and do arts and crafts with her, (because we all know that isn't her mom's specialty).

Anonymous said...

Good for you on the tough love sleep thing! You'll never regret that...

And how cute is she? Very.

I remember Haddie's legs were so chunky like that and then all of sudden they were gone : ( Now, she's all lean and long.

Mikele said...

Good job on the tough love! I'm proud of you - it's really hard!

Unknown said...

Ok, I've been meaning to ask you... how do you pronounce her name? I was certain it was "Loo-SEE-yah" until I read this post and thought you might pronounce it "Loo-CHEE-yah". And then I guess there's "LOO-shuh".

Wow, I am a total and utter nerd.

Regardless, I love the alliteration to her name. Only an English major would do that!

I also love the meaning. I know Lucy is a variant of Lucia, but I just love the "Lu" at the beginning. And Lulu is SUPER cute!

Unknown said...

p.s. kudos on the tough love. It is SO hard to do, but everyone is happier in the long run!

Blog Stalker said...

She is definitely a loo-see-uh.

Mrs. Spice (Holly) said...

Only those Swedes would create a holiday where you put flames on your baby's head.
In Irish culture...every holiday involves only one thing....beer. I began drinking pints of Guiness around 2 1/2. Which is probably why my hairy chest resembles a gorilla. Not really.

Hey..sister I feel you on the tough love thing. I cried like a baby during that stage. Call me anytime of the night and I'll cry with you again. And we can talk about my hairy chest.

Unknown said...

Yay!!!!!! I love her name. I suppose I am biased.

Mrs. Spice is funny. You are lucky to have her in your life.