Monday, November 12, 2007

Baking Day

Saturday, my sister, my mom and I drove up to my cousin's house to learn to art of Danish Christmas Cookie Baking. We arrived at 9:30am. We made 4 different types of treats. This was what the table looked like by 8pm.
These are loving referred to as "Poop logs" by my mother. The official name is Kransekage. For wedding cakes they are made in rings and look like a cone. These are just snack size versions.
These are spritz. They can be made in various shapes. We made rectangles, hearts, diamonds, dogs, and Christmas trees.
I am not sure of the offical name of thes tasty goodies. They are my very favorite. They has some buttery/sugary squish in the middle. After being around cookies for that long on Saturday, I still haven't ingested one. I brought some home so I can eat my favorites after cookies begin to sound good again.
Nanny displaying the strips:
Cousin Karla adding the finishing touches.
Karla and I showing off our "claw hands." After frosting for that long, your hands start to cramp up and stay in that position permanently. Also notice that the icing bags were defective and we had to improvise. What do you think?
We had a fun day and I think I learned a lot.

5 comments:

Mrs. Spice (Holly) said...

I have never wanted to be Danish so badly. My family is Irish. We have perfected the plain meat...stewed with plain potatoes...oh, and brown bread. Why do you think we drink so much beer? Cause it it dulls our taste buds so we can eat all the bland, plain food we cook.

mini and brother said...

deeeelicious! Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

No mention that the Danish Matriarch did most of the work!

Nanny:)

Kiki said...

The mommy always does most of the work and washes the dishes, that's what mommies are for!

I hope I get some of those at Christmas time!

Anonymous said...

I'm expecting you to bring some of those with you next week with my name on them. No pressure, but seriosuly. Bring em. Please.