Friday, June 13, 2008

2008 Flood

If you haven't heard, the city where I live is flooding. On Wednesday, the predicted crest was at 24.5 feet above flood stage and the previous high was 20 feet. So, I was thinking, "Yikes, that is pretty high." Now it is Friday afternoon, and the predicted crest is at 32.9 feet. 24,000 people have already been evacuated from their homes.

The picture below shows the river that divides are town east and west. The bridge at the top of the picture is the only means of crossing the river. If you look closely, you can see three of the main bridges completely submerged other than the tops of the railings. The buildings on the island are the Veterans' Memorial Building and the courthouse/jail.This is a picture of volunteers helping to sandbag the hospital I planned to deliver the baby at, but I guess I will have to switch hospitals. That is what I get for trying to plan...
Very importantly at the end of a pregnancy in June, one of the Dairy Queens is flooded. This particular DQ is one of my favorites not because of the quality of the product or the service, but because it had a drive-through. Thankfully we have a few other DQs to appease me.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers. I vacillate between feeling guilty and blessed because Lee and I have fared well. Our house and neighborhood are untouched and we haven't had one drop of leaking in the roof or seepage in the basement.

Lee's building is right along the river and he is hearing that June 23rd is the earliest they will be back to normal. He is praying that I go into labor soon, so he doesn't have to use any vacation or sick days. I told him that I would do my best, but as of this morning I am not dilated at all. I think this baby is content to stay where it is.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

gosh Karoline, that is CRAZY! I am so glad you guys are doing ok. Maybe it would be best for baby Rozeboom to wait till the madness is over. I will be praying for you guys. Love you!

Kiki said...

Finally an update from my long lost friend! I even called your mom to make sure you were okay! We are thinking and praying for everyone there. The other hospital in town isn't so bad, I was born there! Love you.

Casey, Aaron, Colby & McKenzie said...

Hey, if you deliver at St Luke's Corey's mother in law is the head nurse of the delivery unit!! More free stuff..Not that your father in law wouldn't be able to get you some free goods too!! hahaha
It's not what you know it's who you know...LOL

Kristi said...

I'm so sad for your town. And glad there are other Dairy Queens.

Praying for everybody!

Mrs. Spice (Holly) said...

You mean...you weren't planning on a water birth?

Kers said...

I love you Mrs. Spice! That's the first giggle I've had in quite a few days! It might be a little chilly and there is quite a big of garbage, railroad cars, and playground equipment in there too but hey if she could dodge that it might definitely be one for "A Baby Story".

Mikele said...

And couches, I hear.

That is crazy! Glad to hear you guys are doing well!

Astraea said...

So, if the jail is flooded where are all the prisoners being housed?

Anonymous said...

Finally figured out how to make a comment. Are you pushing yet? My Von Maur Charge is ready to be put to use so hurry up and have that baby!

- Mom of Murphy Mulherin