Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Strange Symptoms

Pregnancy has come with some expected things (moodiness, cravings, tiredness, etc), but it has also brought with it some symptoms that are uniquely mine (or at least i think so):

1. Constant Feeling of Strangulation- seriously I feel like there are hands right at the base of my neck and I can't have anything touch my neck. If you are familiar with my winter wardrobe, you know that this is a problem. I tend to wear some sort of turtleneck 90% of the time. I am constantly pulling things away from my neck, even if it is just the sheet when I am sleeping. It is quite unpleasant. I hope this one fades with the morning sickness.

2. Hermitism- It is unlike me, but I have kind of curled into my shell. I really am most happy sitting, wrapped in a blanket, on the coach or just staring out the window of my house. I even skipped my 10 year high school reunion. I just told my co-workers this week that I am with child. I know I was introverted before, but it has severly escalated. I might be a full blown hermit by June!

3. Aesthetic Apathy- I don't know if this one is just me, but I have it. In the morning, when I wake up and get ready for school, I am not feeling 100%. I am torn between wanting to crawl back in bed and wanting to curl up on the bathroom floor. So this results in me slothing around until the last possible minute. I think I have worn my hair in a loose updo (AKA bun) for days on end. My hands look like the Sahara, but do I walk the 3 feet to my purse to lotion them? Nope.

I am told that a lot of this will fade when I enter the second trimester, but what if it doesn't?

I had always imagined that I would be one of those pregnant women who loves being pregnant and embraces every little part. You know what I mean...the ones who "glow" and are constantly touching their abdomen. I am not one of those women. I am the one who can't wait to leave school just to sit on the couch and do nothing but be by herself in a v-neck with dry hands... oy vey!


Helmet and Yoda enjoying a winter's nap with their mother...

PS if you think I am crazy about my animals, just wait until you have to look at pictures of my child when it still looks like a pink alien...

7 comments:

Kers said...

No mention of the hospital bag selection dilemna? :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a terrible sensation! You know what, you never get a pass in life on being quirky like you do when you're pregnant...so just go ahead and curl up in that blanket and stare blankly out the window : ) Also, the pink alien stage is one of my favorites...

Unknown said...

Oh, dang it! I was hoping you'd be my source of stealth photographry photos from the reunion!

Unknown said...

My kids were not cute when they were newborns. But everyone oohed and aahed anyway.

Looking forward to seeing the pink alien! :)

Congratulations!

Mikele said...

I remember wanting to be completely submerged in water when I was pregnant with Kate. We would drive by a home development with a waterfall and lake and I wanted to jump in it. Ewwww.

Casey, Aaron, Colby & McKenzie said...

Oh I totally know who you feel with the tight feeling around you neck...I had it too!! It was awful!! I was glad that the "style" was lower cut tops!! Thank heavens for the "V" neck!! It does get better...Hang in there!!

Kiki said...

I think you mean to type pink cuddly alien! And I can't wait to see all those pics.

It will get better. Just need to get past the first trimester.