Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Would you want to be related to these people?

During our family graduation celebration, I started to look around and notice the physical builds of Lee's relatives. They are 100% Dutch and I guess Dutch people are know for their height.

I am of average height; 5'6". I am the tallest female in my family. My grandma was 4'10" at the pinnacle of her growth and the grandma I can remember had already shrunken to 4'8".

I have always liked tall boys. I had a strict 6'0" height requirement in any potential mate. My husband is 6'1.5". Strangely, in his family he is kind of a runt.

My father-in-law, Jerry, is about the same height as Lee. The photograph below shows Jerry's younger brother, 6'6", and Jerry's younger sister, 6'0".

The tall relatives don't stop on Lee's paternal side. His mom has two older brothers. This is one of them, 6'5".

Papa, Nanny and Lee's grandma, Gert, flanked by the overgrown relatives. Nanny and Papa aren't really that short, but the picture begs to differ.
The tall relatives don't stop there...This is Lee's 19 year old cousin, 6'0".
I think it will be easy to tell which side our child takes after. It could be tall and lean like its father's side or short and stocky like his mother's side.

Also, would you ever want to be in pictures with this group?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm 5'10" and even I would feel short around all those lovely tall people! The pic of Jerry's younger sister's capri pants gives me flashbacks to junior high when all my pants were way too short, only it wasn't even remotely cool back then. Dang.

Kristi said...

I'm 5'10" too and I feel like a giant around my in-laws. So yes, I'd love to hang with them! They can be the one to reach the top shelves for a change!! :)

Kers said...

That cousin has legs to die for!!! How many months old before it's very evident? 'Cause Lee was normal sized at birth. I think you should do a poll of the typical birth weight and length for the Dutch or maybe just google it

Casey, Aaron, Colby & McKenzie said...

you are cracking me up!! I'm going to have to agree with Kristi...me being a "shortie" it sure would be nice to reach the top cabinet without a chair..LOL
Lets hope that your "little" girl is tall & lean and your "little boy is short & stocky..much cooler for a football player to be short & stocky...LOL

Mrs. Spice (Holly) said...

Whoa. I am 6'3 and they are even tall for me! Okay, I'm 5'7...but I used to be 5'8. And for heaven's sake...someone feed your cousins a stinkin' cookie will ya? Gotta love the Dutch!

Sarah said...

Soooo... it's already looking like for Rebekah is going to take after her daddy's side of the family (tall and thin!) and Rachel is going to take after my side of the family (not so tall and not so thin!!). Rachel and I have already had talks about it. :)