Monday, September 1, 2008

Good Morning, Runners!

Every summer there is an 8k race that goes right by my house. The Fifth Season 8k was postponed from July4th until today because of the flood. Lulu and I got up and found a nice spot to watch the race. There were volunteers with cups of water along the route. Another strange tradition is that people that live along the race route have breakfast/viewing parties. Seriously, there were crowds in front yards cheering along their friends and neighbors.

It felt a little sadistic watching people run and sweat. I was all cozy in my lawn chair watching people with agonized facial expressions run/jog/crawl (the entrants toward the end...) past me.

Some of the familiar faces jogging past were: #182 our city's mayor pro tem, whom the local paper described as "the youngest and lankiest" city council member.
My prom date from 1997, #1060. Strangely he didn't look like that in high school...
My former boss, DP (the guy in the blue hat). He is over sixty and still running as well as running a high school.
Lots of excitement today. Maybe next year we should have a party and our new neighbors in Wheaton could come and join us in cheering.

PS I love my town. Tonight Lulu and I went for a long walk. I love how everyone was out and about. I also love how everyone says hi. Walking through the park, a middle-aged couple stopped to see what was in my stroller and inquire about her name and age. Then, later in the walk, an older man walking a small, barking dog stopped and we talked about the weather and his dog for a bit. No, I had never seen these people before in my life. Laugh if you will, but I love the friendliness.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

love the new background! :)

Brenda Rae said...

amen to the friendliness of Iowa!

Kers said...

#1 - I want a new background. Where did you get yours?
#2 Love the pics of your boyfriends.
#3 Nanny told me they changed the route and that it was on Beve instead so we skipped it. Should have known to ask you.

mini and brother said...

Nice Prom date!!
I love Iowa too!!