Tuesday, May 29, 2007

92 Years of Character and Counting

If you didn't already know, Lee (my husband) and I bought a beautiful, old Dutch Colonial home last summer. In the past 10 months we have had to, amongst other things, add central air conditioning, resheet and shingle the roof, fence off one side of the back yard, reline the fireplace and tuck point the chimney (not to mention updating the cosmetics). we love it and we knew that it would be a project when we bought it.

So Sunday, I was using the kitchen sink when water started spraying out of the neck of the faucet and onto me and the window. I was laughing so hard, Lee had to come and see what was so funny. Fast forward to Monday...We were driving past Home Depot and we decided to get a new faucet and try to install it ourselves. We bought one, went home and decided to start on our project. We went to the basement to shut off our water and ended up spending an hour looking for the correct water controlling spigot. So we got the water turned off, and then began to clean out under the kitchen sink. Lee got his wrench out and started to disconnect the pipes under the sink as I read the directions for installation.

He unfastened the first pip with ease and moved on the the second. This one proved to be a little more tricky. He got red in the face and used pliers and wrenches and the darn thing wouldn't budge. As he keeps at it, we think that it appears that the pipe is turning with the nut we are trying to loosen. Then we heard an unusual noise, like a dull pop. When we follow the pipe from the kitchen floor to the ceiling of the basement and see that there is some water on the wall, counter and floor.

When we looked into the ceiling we saw that the pipe had come loose from another pipe and the residual water had flooded out. I want to back up and point out that we had to use a knife to cut off the foam padding and duct tape that were surrounding/insulating said pipe. So...we stayed at my parents house last night (which is super fun because my dad hates dogs. I wonder where Katie gets it...), and the plumbers won't be over until Wednesday at 11am.

The funniest part was that when Lee was lying with his head under the sink getting angry at the pipes, all I could think of was, "I wish I had a camera so I could blog this exact moment." I have learned that blogs without pictures are not as loved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for introducing Lee :) Would you like to borrow my camera holster?

Kiki said...

I still love your blog!

Brenda Rae said...

Can you have him reenact it???