Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Sad Truth

The real reason I started a blog was because I got some bad news about two weeks ago and I thought to myself, "I don't want to have to call and tell everybody over and over again; this sure would be easier if I had a blog." So here it is:

I have been teaching for six years. My first three years were at the middle school level and with three separate one year contracts. The last three years I have been teaching at my alma mater, Washington High School, where I have also been coaching for the last seven years. So, a couple of weeks ago I went to check my mailbox in the main office and I had a weird letter from the Human Resources department. When I opened it, it stated that I had been surplussed, which means that because of declining enrollment in my department, they would letting go of one teacher. That would be me. I am being transferred to a school on the other side of town because they have a man retiring.

The good new is that I still have a job, but the bad news is that I will not longer be a Warrior; I will be a J-Hawk. What the heck is J-Hawk anyway? I am really angry and I have no one to be angry at. It is because "technically" I have the least seniority. But there is some weird point system in place where seniority is just one factor. Apparently I am not black enough or am a head coach of an important sport. It doesn't matter that I go to every football and basketball game, chaperone dances, and sponsor a club...I have a million objections and great points I could make, but there is no point. I just have to suck it up and make the best of it.

I know it is God's will and I will be fine, but sometimes it just doesn't feel like it.

10 comments:

mini and brother said...

Dnag it!! I am so sad for you Lions. Just get pregnant so you don't have to work anymore. It's a piece of cake. haha

Unknown said...

my condolences - maybe if you take some of the warrior spirit over to j-hawk land they will see how superior we are. i always wondered what a j-hawk was, too.

i second your sister's comment. ;)

Rachel Swanson
pipsylou.typepad.com

Mikele said...

How can they say that you're not black enough????

I totally feel ya though, Dog. I was involuntarily transferred for my fourth year teaching on the basis of there not being enough students and that I didn't flirt well enough with the principal. Weird how they ended up hiring someone new to replace my non-existing class, though. All that to say that my move was all God and that it turned out to be the very best year of my short career.

So sorry, but I will be praying that He'll show you quickly and clearly what He's doing.

Dog.

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm trying not to be offended! :) I know the "J-Hawk school" has probably changed since the time I graduated (18 years ago--how can that be???!!!) but it's not so bad! I know you're sad to leave a place you love, but I'll pray that it turns into a good experience for you.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Jefferson is lucky to get you!

Kers said...

I hope somebody at Wash reads this. I am so bugged for you and frustrated that Dad's chat with Dr. Plagman didn't accomplish anything :) JK

Anonymous said...

Mindy, don't be offended. There is nothing inherently wrong with Jeff; it is just not where my heart and loyalty lie.

Anonymous said...

Not black enough? Obviously they haven't seen your booty.

Kiki said...

Oh, sad, Loopty. I know red and blue go deep in your veins, but light blue isn't such a bad color... It could have been nasty yellow and green!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, I was just kidding about being offended. :) Just trying to point out a possible bright side.