Friday, May 4, 2007

Wallpaper

For those of you that don't know, my husband and I bought a house last summer. The house was built in 1915 and has a lot of "character." The people we purchased the house from had lived there for 38 years. Most of the house appeared to have been decorated 38 years ago and left. We had a lot of painting and wallpapering done in the fall.

A friend of mine from Boston and his girlfriend were back in Cedar Rapids visiting his family, and they were excited to come over and see our new house. I was giving them a tour when we came to the dining room:
My friend got up close tot he walls and started touching it. He said, "What are these...pilgrims?" I just smiled and said, "I think it is called French toile." Then he said matter-of-factly, "How soon are you getting rid of this?" We had just had it put up two weeks before.


It hurt my feelings. A lot. I never told them. If they had only seen what was on the walls before we got there...there were columns of multiple shades of blue and green fruit (ie: aqua melons, olive bananas, turquoise grapes, etc). Lee and I both really liked what we had chosen, but it shook my faith in my decorating skills. Again...feel free to laugh at my expense.

8 comments:

Kers said...

Wonder what he would have said about the pheasants in my basement? For the record - I love the toile and so does my pheasant hunter.

Kiki said...

I think it fits you perfectly! And I love it.

Anonymous said...

It was a guy who said it, right? Point made. ;)

Blog Stalker said...

It may have been a guy, but he was as metrosexual as they come. His girlfriend agreed with him as well.

Mikele said...

I love toile, but I don't have the courage to decorate with it.

Props.

Anonymous said...

Ah, metrosexual. Shoot. It looks pretty to me, and I'm completely pro-decorating-with-pilgr...I mean toile ;)

Mrs. Spice (Holly) said...

Well, if it means anything I love the toile. Plus, it shows you are globally aware. Obviously, your friend/toile hater is not as globally concious as you are!

Unknown said...

I was going to say, I think it's awesome! I was going to tell you to leave it up if it was there when you moved in, because those people had killer taste!