Tuesday, May 1, 2007

My Mouser


This is one of my two cats, Lord Helmet. Helmet got his name because Lee, my husband, thought that he looked like he was wearing a helmet. I guess it is also a character in the movie, Space Balls. Who knew? Our other cat is Master Yoda, just in case you cared.

The story of our cats goes like this...I was going to sleep one night in my parents' basement and I heard a high-pitched noise. I looked around and went over to look out into the window well, which is a good five foot drop from the front yard. When I looked out I saw two glowing eyes looking at me. In the end, my dad and I pulled out four baby kittens, two of which did not have their eyes open yet, so we knew they had to be about a week old. For the next six weeks, my mom, Lee and I took turns feeding them with kitten replacement milk formula every 4 hours. So, needless to say, we kept two of them. One of them, Zitty (he was all white with a blackhead, so we called him balckhead, and then that turned into Zitty...I knew you guys weere going to ask), died at five weeks from a tragic accident with a baby gate (may he rest in peace), and we gave one of them away.

Last night with 5 minutes left in Dancing with the Stars, which I am addicted to, Lee yells from the basement, "Come here. Hurry!" I, being a good little submissive wife, jump off of the coach to see what he needs. When I got to the basement, Lee said, "We have good cats." I turned the corner and there lay Helmet with a dead little black mouse lying next to him, and Master Yoda not too far away. I started to freak out and Lee just laughed. Helmet just kept touching it with his little paw like he was trying to make sure it didn't get away. I am sure that mouse lived all by itself, right?

I never want to go into the basement again, but with cats like mine, I will be protected.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like cats as much as I like itchy, watery eyes and a runny nose. But your cats seem nice and awfully handy.
P.S. Apolo and the blondie are my favorites.

Mikele said...

What's a baby gate?

Kers said...

Note it's the same gate that is used to keep the grandchildren from tumbling down the stairs to the basement.