Tuesday, September 25, 2007

South Dakota Part 1.5

So, Saturday morning we awoke bright and early to go see Mount Rushmore, a place I had never been but wanted to see. We drove through Cottonwood, pop.12. There was a actually a sign that said that as we drove through. Have you ever heard of Wall Drug? Yeah, I hadn't either. Apparently it is a famous drug store in Wall, South Dakota. If you ever wondered what Wall looked like, I hope this satisfies your curiousity:
Mount Rushmore was beautiful. I loved the majesty and awe that seeing it inspired. I just stood and stared for a long time trying to take it all in. Each face is approximately 60 ft from chin to top of the head. In case you were wondering, the four presidents were chosen for specific reasons. Washington was chosen to represent the birth of out country. Jefferson was chosen to represent the expansion of our country (the Louisiana Purchase). Lincoln was choen to represent the preservation of our country (southern secession). Roosevelt was chosen to represent the development of the country (construction of the Panama Canal. There is your history lesson for the day.


When we got back from Mount Rushmore, we went to the wedding (you know, the reason for the trip). The wedding was in the bride's backyard. These are my in-laws dressed for the wedding. Who knew they were such cowboys?


In addition to lighting the unity candle, they "poured the grain." There was a jar with grain and a jar with corn kernels. They pour them together to symbolize the coming together of two families.


Instead of a card basket or gift table, they had a horse trailer to collect the presents. I guess that makes it easy to transport them home as well. I thought it was a novel idea.



PS. Don't you think this groomsman looks like Wyatt Earp? I did.

2 comments:

Kers said...

Of course this history major loved the history lesson but the picture of your cute inlaws was a red "x"

Anonymous said...

I like the grain and the corn. I haven't heard of that particular combo before. The bride looks pretty in her dress!