Tuesday, October 2, 2007

My Life at School

Today (October 2nd) as I pulled in the school parking lot and started to get out of my car, I heard someone talking to me. I looked up and saw a coworker (let's call her Bambi for protect her identity) coming toward me. She said, "I am wearing white pants and I don't want to hear anything about it or end up on the blog." She went on to say, "I don't go by the Labor Day rule. If it is hot out, I can still wear white." The traditional rule is no white pants or shoes after Labor Day. What do you think?

More importantly, what about panty-lines? Bambi has a penchant for spending her "fun money" on pricey items. Last year she was telling us about her new underwear that boasted being "panty-line free." As she demonstrated today, it held up to its promise. She so graciously posed for the camera to sing the virtues of $18 dollar underwear. i am not sure that I will run out and buy them, but I was quite impressed.
On a sadder (or happier, it depends on who you ask) note, I have had little friends visiting my classroom at night. They come from an unknown source and climb onto my counters and into my desk drawers looking for treats. So I finally got a little help from a sticky trap in catching these visitors. I walked into my room one morning and looked under my desk to find one visitor waiting patiently for me. He was quickly asked to leave.
Then again this morning I walked into my room around 10am and there was another little friend visiting under my desk. They would almost be cute if they weren't so gross.

Back to the question: What do we think about white after Labor Day?

7 comments:

mini and brother said...

White pants are a no no.
The rats are sick. Do you have poop all over the desk and in your drawers. SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Spice (Holly) said...

I am from the great state of California...we never had that rule. I say...wear white as long as you are not on your period or going to a petting zoo.

So, do you have to kill the mice or do you drive them to a forest just outside the city limits and release them? Why not create a trail of cheese crackers that leads from your classroom to the locker rooms in the gyms. Then, hide with a video camera and watch the kids scream when they see the mice. That's good stuff...

Sarah said...

Can I just say that I really do appreciate your sense of humor, and your sense of style. For you sense of humor, I would have never thought of taking a collage of belt buckle pictures, and I truly found great humor in it! As for the style, white is not a particularly flattering color for me. I even go out and buy my girls brown or black shoes the moment it starts to get cold.

Ben even laughed at the collage, and the mice...he went to Washington too.

Kiki said...

White pants are a no no and so are skirts after Labor Day, but what about white shirts? And apparantly, she did want to be on the blog!

Mice are sick and disgusting. I can't believe you took a picture.

Kers said...

I'm getting Haddie's picture taken this morning and she's wearing white shoes because they go with a summery dress I want in the pic. But then the white shoes will be put away and we'll be on to dusty pink. Are there any rules about pink shoes?

Anonymous said...

I had to invetigate this "wearing white after Labor Day" question so I emailed my friend who works for O Magazine...here is the answer she gave me and she lives in Chicago wear it is chilly:)

"Throw those old rules out.. you can now wear white anytime of the year without breaking any fatal fashion rules. The trick is to pair it with a color that is more traditional for that season."

Anonymous said...

I too, have read in Real Simple that the NWALD rule no longer applies. But, it still just feels wrong. Sorry about the mice. Gross!